History

History

Following the dissolution of the Seminario de Estudos Galegos, which was “seized” by the Universidad de Santiago on August 1, 1940 (according to the report written by Jesús Carro, Secretary of the Seminario, on July 14, 1941), the surviving members of that institution worked towards its reestablishment within the CSIC. This was achieved at the end of 1943 with the creation of the Instituto Padre Sarmiento – which at that point was already the usual name given to CSIC centres.It was named after the learned Benedictine Fray Martín Sarmiento (1695-1772), in accordance with the idea which had already been considered in the time of the old Seminary. Its select team of members and collaborators, as well as the development of the centre and its contributions over the course of the second half of the last century, turned the Instituto de Estudios Gallegos "Padre Sarmiento" into a meeting place for the most distinguished scholars of Galician humanistic subjects and one of the natural benchmarks of the cultural and scientific life of Galicia.

After several years of shortages, difficulties and limited activity, in 1994 the CSIC extensively reorganised the IEGPS. It was redesigned as a research centre in its own right with its own scientific and administrative staff.

This process of the revival and reactivation of its scientific and cultural activities reached its peak in 2000, with the signing of an agreement with the Xunta de Galicia, which saw the IEGPS become a shared research centre, or joint venture. As such, its joint governing committee is headed by the presidents of the Xunta de Galicia and of the CSIC itself.

Directors

Francisco Javier Sanchez Cantón

(1944-1971)

José Fernando Filgueira Valverde

(1971-1981)

Francisco Javier Rio
Barja

(1981-1994)

Eduardo Pardo de Guevara y Valdés

(1994)

Further information:

Pardo de Guevara y Valdés, Eduardo
“O Instituto de Estudios Galegos Padre Sarmiento: A recuperación da memoria. A miña homenaxe a Filgueira Valverde”, Boletín da Real Academia Galega, 376 (2015), pp. 245-264.

Pardo de Guevara y Valdés, Eduardo
“El Seminario de Estudos Gallegos. Auge, ocaso y continuidad” in Xosé Luís Axeitos, Emilio Grandío Seoane, and Ramón Villares (eds.) A patria enteira. Homenaxe a Xosé Ramón Barreiro Fernández, Santiago de Compostela, Consello da Cultura Galega; Real Academia Galega; Universidade de Santiago de Compostela, 2008, pp. 673-693.

Pardo de Guevara y Valdés, Eduardo
El Instituto de Estudios Gallegos “Padre Sarmiento”: sesenta años al servicio de Galicia (1944-2004), Santiago de Compostela, Instituto de Estudios Gallegos Padre Sarmiento; Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas, 2005.

Mato, Alfonso
O Seminario de Estudos Galegos: na documentación que garda o Instituto Padre Sarmiento, Ediciós do Castro, A Coruña, 2001.

Cordero Carrete, Felipe Ramón
El primer decenio del Instituto Padre Sarmiento de Estudios Gallegos (1944-1954), Santiago de Compostela, Instituto de Estudios Gallegos Padre Sarmiento; Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científica, 1954.

Ibáñez Martín, José, Legaz Lacambra, Luis, Sánchez Cantón, Francisco Javier, Filgueira Valverde, José Fernando y Fraguas Fraguas, Antonio
El Instituto Padre Sarmiento de Estudios Gallegos, Santiago de Compostela, Instituto de Estudios Gallegos Padre Sarmiento; Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científica, 1947.

Scroll to Top